A visit to Jon Schueler’s Mallaig

In June, I took a trip to Mallaig to investigate the places that the American artist had lived in , a small isolated bungalow at Mallaig Vaig (1957/58) and a converted schoolhouse called Romasaig (1970-75).

This is a photographic record of that trip.

To see it, follow the link below.

Schueler’s Mallaig Photobook

3 thoughts on “A visit to Jon Schueler’s Mallaig”

1. Superb memento of your passage through the painting places of Jon Shueler. You got closer than I’ve ever done. Although I live on Knoydart. I think JS first came into view for me when I made a first visit in 2014 to a holiday cottage up the inner end of Loch Nevis. Found the book Sound of Sleat and did a lot of online searching. I have visited the Heritage Centre at Mallaig, but since Covid locked us down on our small peninsula, dependent upon the ferry for deliveries, I’ve lost some activity in my comings and goings. Many thanks for sharing your wonderfully illustrated log of your journey.

1. Many thanks for your lovely encouraging comment, and a bonus that it was sent from Knoydart. That triggered memories of walking in with friends along the magnificent ridges to stay at the Knoydart bothy many years ago. Best wishes.

2. Should add the trigger that led me to your blog this morning – you may be aware of the FB link but here it is again – one of his paintings to be seen at London Art Fair with an invitation if you are able to make a personal visit.
    “The Jon Schueler Estate is really delighted that three Scottish skyscapes from the late 1980s will be on view at the London Art Fair this week. Schueler’s skyscapes will be exhibited with Waterhouse & Dodd Gallery (stand 39) from April 20-24. If you would like complimentary passes, please DM us. For further information, see link to the W&D London gallery’s website: https://www.waterhousedodd.com/…/artworks-113784-jon…/